Friday, February 13, 2009

I'm half-banana, half-malay

Yesterday (friday) , I was doing my calls around KL, and I get this quite often, especially with matured- Malay women. The question they asked: " Kamu ni Melayu ke, Cina?" . LOLx. And my reply was always: "Cina". I got 2 different person asking the same question yesterday. A few other times previously.  :P

And then I thought to myself, am I really Chinese? I don't know how to speak Mandarin, only broken-Canto, mostly English and Malay to my Malay friends.  Now, I know what I need to do, I MUST LEARN MANDARIN. Not as a selfish personal goal, but more of a need to feel my roots and to connect with Mandarin-speaking people (not everyone speaking Mandarin is Chinese, k)

Actually, I know a few Mandarin words, I've been to classes before, but I never really utilize it because I was afraid ppl might misunderstand what I said and dont ask for clarification. It would make me embarrassed to go on talking with them not understanding...if u know wat i mean....

So, I've made a commitment to LEARN and PRACTISE Mandarin~ yea~ so I need all of ur support~!

TQTQ,
YJ

1 comment: